We took a night train to Sarut Thani, with actual little beds. When we arrived in the morning there came immediately some touroperators trying to sell us bustickets. Julie and Tina were still deciding where they would go. I decided to go to Krabi and the bus was leaving, so we said goodbye there at the trainstation. At that time it was already raining a lot! When I arrived at the hotel in Krabi I started talking with a south-african who lived already 11 years in England. It was pretty funny because we could talk in English and when he talked sout-african I could understand most of it, and also the other way around when I spoke Dutch. He just loved that we sing in Belgium the song Sarie-Marijs in South-African. He was a thai boxer and had builded his own thai boxing thai chi and other martial fights sports gyms in England. He wanted to learn Thai boxing so he went to Thailand, but he didn't want to learn it from the commercialized gyms who just ask a lot of money and learn thai boxing fast but not good. He didnt knew where to look but just followed his gutfeeling and it brought him to Krabi where he had found by luck Khruw, a bangkok champion thai boxer who had built his own gym in his backyard and had sewed everything of the training materials by himself. Normally he never teaches foreigners, but for Kevin (soutafrican) he made an exception. Khruw couldn't speak English and Kevin couldn't speak Thai, but he stayed there for three months to learn thai boxing. After that he came back every year and now he takes two students with him for their training. So normally it's quite an honor to be able to learn from Khruw. So when I was speaking with Kevin and I told him I was interested to see the actual thai boxing, he suddenly invited me to come along. Of course I said hell yeah! it was raining anyway so I had nothing else to do on the beach.
I should tell you that I was already sick for 5 days by then, so I was completely drained out and had not much energy left and felt really weak. Anyhow Kevin took me and his students as a warm up to the Buddha statue and temple at the top of the mountain, which is by the way a climb of 1400 stairs. It took me about a half hour to get to the top completely soaked because of the rain and exhausted but I made it! Some stairs were that high that you had to climb it with hands and feet. At the top there was a prehistoric fossil of a dinosaurs footprint. I've got a picture where my tine foot stands into the fossil. In Krabi there are apparently many fossils to find.
Afterwards we went already soaked wet to the Thai boxing. It was amazing because it really was a family of Thai boxing who knew the art of Thai boxing. Every member of the family trained, even the girls, and it has been that way for already 6 generations of that family. The father, Khruw, had been a bangkok champion and now his son as wel. I trained with them and they showed me how to do the basics. I especially loved the kicks. They teached me so much more and faster than with Taekwando. The son, Siphon, was crazy but amazing as well, he studies still in college under a topsport statute and he has done already 400 fights and has won a lot, and that all already at the age of 23! It's a pity though that he had just broken his jaw two weeks before because of an accident during the training. Kevin was training his kicks and Siphon couldn't block one of them and it went right at his jaw. Kevin tries to built a lot of fundings projects here and volunteer work. For example he wants to put up an ambulance and ambulance over water or speedboats, because it took too long to get Siphon to the hospital in Phuket. His jaw was only operated two days later! Can you believe walking around with a broken jaw for two days? He has an enormous high pain barrier. The next day we went training again there. They were so kind to me! They even gave me a lucky bracelet which I have to wear for 7 days so I'd be protected during my travelling across asia... so they believe, but I'll obey by it.
Tuesday 30/08 I took the bus to Khao Lak. I wanted to see the tsunami museum and the boat that has been placed 2km land in because of the tsunami. There is also a beach there. The first day I just lay on the beach reading my book and swimming sometimes in the ocean. The waves were too high even at the beginning of the water already. It was a completely deserted beach. I was all alone. It's almost september so all the families and children already returned home and the rest of the tourist probably fled for the rain. I myself didn't like it here, so I decided not to stick around for ko pha ngan and I want to go sooner to malaysia. I could have stayed and dop some island hopping untill the half moon party and afterwards to malaysia. But the weather isn't to good, and it's not a nice atmosphere here. They try to rip you off with everything, and it's 3 times more expensive than anywhere else in Thailand. I don't like it here. Maybe you really can't come in the rainy season and only in the cold season. It's also to dangerous to dive or snorkle because of the rain.
Long story short I decided to not go to the halfmoon party because it's too expensive and if it would rain, it would be one fucked up party. It rains very hard here if it rains, and I don't want a pukkelpop on my trip :S. Apparantly the weather is better in malaysia, and there are also islands and beaches there. Another avantage is that I'll have more time to see malaysia so I don't have to travel that fast anymore. Travelling fast has it's downsides, it's more exhausting and expensive and if you meet cool people you always have to say almost immediately already goodbye.
Next story will be about malaysia. I'll arrive with the bus in Satun at 2 AM in the night, so I hope I can find quickly a guesthouse at my arrival. In the morning than I'll cross the border.
kisses,
Vina
No comments:
Post a Comment