Monday, August 8, 2011

weekend 30/07 and 6/08

Hello again,
My last two weekends were really cool, but not so much to tell. The weekend of 30-31 july we went out again, shopped a lot, and visited Phanom Rung. Fridaynight we went out in Surin at Speed 3, after we had 'un apero' in a nice cafe. We came a cross some americans who were apparently soldiers, futile trying to teach the thai soldiers some tactics. It's a little difficult, somehow almost impossible to teach somebody tactics when they don't speak the same language. I even try the most of the times fruitless to teach some Thai children to speak English. The Americans were here for about 3 weeks teaching them tactics and had to leave that saturday morning to the border with cambodia where the fighting area is.

maybe a little history: centuries ago the ancient Khmer ruled over a great area along what is now Thailand, cambodia, vietnam,... At the Border with thailand and combodia there are some ancient temples. Anghkor What is also very close to the border. Cambodia was the first to built roads to the involved temple, although the temple is a little closer to Thailand. Now they are fighting about who has the rights on the temple. An international court ruled that Cambodia is the rightfull owner of the temple. Thailand doesn't accept it, so sented his army. Apparently you can hear at my school sometimes the bombing at the border. In another school there are refugies from the bombing, currently living at that school.  Recently the newspapers declared that the fighting stopped and that the ASIAN had ordered the armies to leave the border. Offcourse, dued to some wicked politics, the Thai army is just being changed into 'policemen', who are indeed allowed to stay at the border. Long story short, I learned the valuable lesson to read the journals critically and to see through the appearances. Definitely now I know that even american soldiers are intervening with the conflict. I'm wondering why they choose the side of Thailand, apparantly because of allies. But still, why intervene. It won't be over a temple, and there is no oil in Thailand no? I suppose there are many more of these little tasks all over the world where the USA intervenes in foreign politics. I hope I will be able to cross the border safely, but I'll be choosing the safe crosspoint where there hasn't been any fightings yet.

Although the american soldiers were nice and entertaining, some were even quite hot, I'm really amazed that they didn't even knew what the hell they were fighting about. I know that they are trained to not asking questions and just to follow orders, but still come on. How can you go fighting somewhere without knowing what the hell it is about.

The other day I went to visit Phanom Rung, one of those amazing ancient khmer temples. I took a songtaew to Surin, from Surin a bus to Ban Tako. There I realized that it was a mountain up about 15km. Walking wasn't an option cause I had to get back in time to my home that evening and the busses stop riding at 19 o clock. I got on the back of a motorcycle, which was really beautiful to see the scenery that way. He waited an hour and a half for me and than took me back. It costed me only 150 TB. Pictures from the temple you can see on facebook. I met a geman girl who speaks also Dutch, cause she studied at Maastricht. On the way back I hadn't got any money anymore and the ATM wouldn't take my maestro card so I arranged to get the bus and paying only at the end, at the last stop in Surin.

This weekend of 6 and 7/08 was one of the best weekends I had here, with lots of fun! Fridaynight us girls, me, Benz and Roxanne, did a girlsnight like it should. We had a lot of icecream, coockies, chips,... and The Hangover 2 in Bangkok. Even though how shocking some scenes are, it is truly Thailand :D haha! I'm looking forward to fully visit Bangkok!
Saturdaynight we went out again, offcourse! It was the last time I could go out before I leave. This time we did karaoke, which is so much better in Thailand. You have little rooms to yourself and a lot of choices in songs. I also met some of the other volunteers in town. They are pretty cool, I hope I can see them once again before I leave to go travelling.
I can't believe I have only 7 days left to teach! This weekend I'll go to Khao Yai national park.

I'll finish of with a little happysound that certainly my erasmusfriends will recognize well:
titititiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!

kisses, bisous, goodbye farewell auf wiedersehen adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment