After a long trip of 28 hours, I arrived in bangkok where four teachers of my school waited to pick me up. We still had to drive 8 hours to get to Issan Surin, but on the way we stopped to get some lunch and to buy me some formel clothes for the school. Finally after travelling about 38 hours we arrived at my guesthouse. I live at the house of Pi Ni a teacher, his son Pejet and his wife Pi Pen, who sadly can't speak a word english. The house is quite big and definetely one of the richest houses of this pour region.
I already learned some of the cultural habbits of Thai people. For exemple they love Tv if they can afford it. They have everywhere in different rooms a tv who is almost always on even during dinner and even in the teachers gadering room. Thai think feet are disgusting and impolite, so you can never touch somebody nor point at someone with your feet. I already read about this, but I didn't know that you can't even point your feet at someone. So in the car I had my one leg over the other wchich caused that I had lifted my feet to Pi Ni, which apparently was very impolite. oeps! They also always take their shoes off in almost any building they enter. The head is holy, so you can never touch a head of an older person. You also have to pay a lot of respect at the eldery, even if they are only a few years older than you. The second question they always ask is: How old are you? But it's to know wich polite form they'll have to say to you. They give each other always nicknames. The students know the teachers by their real official name, but I only know them by their nicknames which actually means something. For exemple Palida her nickname is Mook and means pearl. She is older than me so I call here always Pi Mook.
The houses of the thai are very open: litteraly open, there are almost no doors and are just open walls. Luckily I have gazes in front of the windows in my room which keeps the mosquitos away. There are everywhere fans (ventilators) to keep the freshness. The gardens are so beautiful with bananatrees, a lot of chairs, hammocks and so on... The only thing I still can't stand are the toilets. The bathroom is one grand room with toilet, a bucketful and just a showertap. So no toilet paper. I still have to figure out how to go to the toilet and keeping my pants dry when you just have to shower yourself. weird! I also just have to brush my teeth in the shower because there is no lavabo, but than with a bottle of water cause I can't drink the water of the tap.
PS: I already learned to count in thai till 999. still a bit slow, but I can. It's not too hard.
I'll try not to write too long stories, so I'll divide it up in many parts so you can choose yourself which you want to read. have fun! amusez-vous ;)
pictures will follow!
swadi kha ( goodbye in thai)
No comments:
Post a Comment